Monday 26 January 2009

Day 4 - A Blogger's Day in Hell

The Challenge was to interlink my archived posts. So, how exactly do you do it?
You go through your posts, old and new, find the stuff that is connected and, well, you link it. Easy?
Not if you want it to be complicated.
I didn't understand what interlinking was. I tried to work it out on my own. I read somewhere that there was a plugin that could make your task much easier. I ended up staring at some hypertext trying to find the exact place where I could put more hypertext.
Don't ask.
To cut the long story short, I lost an hour and a half trying to find a shortcut for something I could have done manually. Of course, I didn't manage. I don't 'speak' HTML and I had no idea where to put my piece of hypertext.
I ended up shouting for help. In the 31 Day Challenge wiki , on Twitter, everywhere. Now I know the task is as simple as tidying your old drawers.
Except that I never tidy my drawers. Or almost never. Which is why I hate this task.
While I was looking at my old posts, I realised I would have to go through a couple of them again. I haven't quite linked everything I intended to link, but not just because of that. There are some posts which could do with a picture. There are some pictures and slideshows which could do with a text. My tagging is strange or non-existent. And I never wrote Motivation, part 2 (although I promised in Motivation, part 1).
I will have to move on to Day 5, but I'll keep working on Day 4, I promise.

8 comments:

Digi e-Learners said...

Hi Natasa

You are getting there! I see you have included links to relevant posts now - excellent!

Hope all is well with you.

Natasa said...

Thanks for the encouragement. You are right - I am getting there. But sooo slowly.
You have got to Day 21! Congratulations. So I am really the slowest in the group.
But I'll get there.
Now I am off to read your blog.

Sue Waters said...

I'm absolutely stuck on Day 4 and you have perfectly described what going back and interlinking means to me. Absolute agony. I would rather do anything than this task. Wish I had thought of that great title.

Natasa said...

Yes, and you have to do it all he time. Every time you write a post you have to go back and interlink everything. A bit like washing the dishes.

Gabriela Sellart said...

So, it's like washing the dishes or tidying your drawers? Now I understand why I also try to avoid it. However, if I have to choose between washing up and interlinking, I'd choose to read old posts and get ready to face self-criticism.

Natasa said...

Gabriela, you are right. It isn't that bad and it is very useful. I have a problem with self-criticism, though. Sometimes I am tempted to just delete old posts, but a blog is work in progress, isn't it?

Gabriela Sellart said...

DON'T delete them. I agree, it's a work in progress and it traces the progress of your thoughts.

飯糰夾蛋Karen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...